My Blog List

Friday, November 23, 2012

Zebras in Blue, Yellow and Copper



"Zebras in Blue, Yellow and Copper"

30" x 22" Acrylic on Watercolour paper
Framed under glass in a dark brown 33" x 23" frame
click on picture for a larger view

I really had fun with this one. I worked on a full sheet of watercolour paper and used only blue (3), yellow (1) and iridescent copper for paint. It was a challenge to make more colours using only those 5 and with my love of colour, not to add more!

I started this painting by wetting the whole sheet and dropping colours in, letting them mix and mingle. This is what the light stripes on the zebras consist of. I painted the dark stripes with the variety of blues with adding small amounts of the copper. The foreground was done last with all of the colours intermingled. I have now done this painting 3 different ways and 3 different sizes (1/4 sheet, 1/2 sheet and a full sheet of watercolour paper).

I had so much fun with the photograph my friend Joan so graciously let me use, change and add to my satisfy my artist eye.

Paintings for sale can be found on my website.


No comments:

Post a Comment