My Blog List

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Travel sketching - San Miguel de Allende (2)

I was lucky enough to join Colleen in her studio class with Ernesto Folch. Everyone was working on their own individual pieces (mostly abstract) in acrylic. It was a real treat to be a "fly on the wall" and hear the teaching and watch everyone work. One artist even stood on a stool to paint. I brought my water colours and worked on my journal.


A place not to be missed in SMA is the Aurora Fabrica, an old textile mill that is now a very large art gallery with a lot of studios, in fact to much to see in one day. The work is varied with textile, paintings, sculpture etc. Some are galleries as well as working studios. Two of my favorite Mexican artists are Juan Diaz Durian and Juan Zaragoza.






The trouble with sketching people is that they move to much or leave altogether! This was the case while we were waiting for our breakfast in this tiny restaurant. Unfortunately pencil sketches do not show up well on this cream coloured paper when photographed.

No comments:

Post a Comment